thought i’d share a lazy-people-friendly recipe for cafe-quality bircher muesli that i use pretty much every day. all you need is:
- any kind of muesli (low fat if you’re being health conscious. you can make your own with oats and dried fruit but i’m going for ‘time-saving’ here)
- any dried fruit or nuts that you want to add to what’s already there (like dried figs, apricots, almonds etc…)
- any kind of yoghurt (works best with plain organic yoghurt, but any will do)
- any kind of fruit juice (i love cranberry, apple is most commonly used, but any will do)
- cinnamon (great for weight loss as it helps rid your body of stress hormone, which causes weight gain PLUS it tastes amazing)
- berries or fresh fruit for on top
you can prepare this the day before and leave it in the or you can prepare it just before you eat it (which is what i do) - tastes about the same. all you do is put the muesli and any dried fruit in a bowl (be mindful of portion size, better to have more fruit and berries than muesli). then add a few spoonfuls of yoghurt and a splash of juice with the cinnamon (enough to make it into a mixture you can stir easily). mix it all together until it’s the consistency of restaurant bircher (as this is all restaurant bircher is). then top with berries and fruit and drizzle with honey. with berries being so expensive i prefer to buy frozen berries and then microwave them to defrost - then they’re all amazing and warm on the top when you serve it up). and that’s it! mix and match the dried fruits, berries, yoghurt or juice flavour for a different taste every time. best recipe ever. and healthy too. bam.